E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

I have an old Kindle and cannot connect to Wispernet. I need…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Kindle and cannot connect to Wispernet. I need to try an connect via my laptop.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Model No.D00701. Serial No. B00380A2000951912

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I was reading it successfully until last week. Now I have been trying to connect to buy a new book and it is trying to connect but nothing happens

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No - that is all I can tell you.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: E-Readers
11/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 3 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30 seconds until the Kindle restarts
If that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.

That hasn't worked

Do you receive any error messages?

No. It is too expensive from Africa. So i held down power button as suggested. It DID restart biit still whispernet will not activate

Did it work previously in Africa?

I receive no error messages. It wont2 connect so it will obviously not all allow me to purchase

Did it work previously in Africa?

It says wireless connecting but doesn't. I need to update software from my laptop but how

Did it work previously in Africa?

always. Only stopped last week.
I live here.

Which software version do you have?

Josh are u still on line?

Which software version do you have?

How do I know. Where do i find that info
The model number is ***** That must tell you what software would be on these models
Serial no. Is B003BOA200951912
Are u still on line

From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. You will see the current software version at the bottom of the screen

Kindle Version 2.3 (399380047)

If you see this message on your device on or after March 22, 2016, you will need to manually install the latest software update for your device in order to resume normal functionality.

Click here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710

Locate your Kindle model on the page then click on Transfer via USB

Follow the prompts to update the software through your computer

Ok I did all that before I called you. But when i downloaded it all nothing happened. I will try again. Also mimr os version 1.3 which is not indicated on thos website. It shows 1.2 amd 2.5
Ooops. Mine is version 2.3. This site only shows 1.2.1 and 2.5.8

Did you run the downloaded file? There are more steps than downloading the file.

You need version 2.5.8

Ok so i am still looking at this site. Which Generation do I click on

2nd generation

then....

Please follow the steps on the site -- The entire process is described on their site.

I have clicked 2nd Gen.

I see that. So my serial no starts with B2003. I assume where it says "if your version prior to 2.3 i muat download software Update 2.3 the sw update 2.5.8 then K services update.

Yes, please follow the steps to update.

Ah no. Thats what i did before i called you and i get the message "no suitable decoder module. VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf" . There is no way to fix this". So I thought I was not understanding the process. But its not working

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are not installing the software as instructed.

This is what I clicked on.
Note: If you have a software version prior to 2.3, download Software Update 2.3 first, then download Software Update 2.5.8, and then download Kindle Services Update
Tell me therefore, what I must click on to do it correctly
this is what comes up after I have installed it ......
No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Unfortunately, I am not able to describe the process any different than Amazon has it listed on their site.

I can't do it telephonically as it will cost me too much from South Africa.
If there is no more you can do via text, then there is no more I can do. I will have to take my Kindle to a computer tech here in Durban.

I completely understand

Dan T.
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician