E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Had a kindle e reader given to me.Unable to register wth…

Customer Question
Had a kindle e...

Had a kindle e reader given to me.Unable to register wth Amazon. Cant find any model bumbers on it,

Technician's Assistant: What confuses you? What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Possibly 4/4 yr old. As i said unable to find any make model?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since it was given to me. Have tried to register about 12 times

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No . Just want to register it?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: E-Readers
11/11/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Have you connected the kindle to wifi?

Do you know your amazon account login (email address and amazon password)?

I have connected to WIFI.
My amazon login is***@******.***.
P/W orroroo2

I don't need to know the password, only you do.

After connecting to the wifi, it should prompt you to register, or you'd go to register/account in the kindle menu and enter your login. If that doesn't work, then you are probably using the wrong password ***** I can help you reset the password ***** if needed.

I have checked my Amazon address and is ok. Just tried again to register kindle with correct address .Message "unable to connect" ? There was an error ?

Are you sure the wifi is connected?
Was the kindle purchased direct from amazon, under your own account?

The WIFI is connected. The kindle was given to me by my grandson

Okay if he purchased it from his amazon account, it is likely already registered to his account which can cause this problem.

Try going into the kindle menu under settings then to account/registration, then look for Deregister or Restore Factory Defaults,

complete that, then try to register again in your own name.

OK

Thanks

Have done. It shows as unregistered?

Okay choose the factory reset option and start from the beginning then.

Its now saying wifi not connected.Asking for network name .Which is telstra TTPW_1D6D. I cant find a underscore button on kindle . I have the p/w ?

That is correct, you will have to reconnect to wifi following the reset,

look for the shift or abc/ABC 123 button at the bottom left of the keyboard to access the underscore symbol

wifi now connected. Tried to register kindle and keeps saying. Unable to connect. There was an eroor?

And you are positive you're using the correct email address and amazon password? If you go to amazon.com.au on the computer and use the same sign in, does that work?

it does
There is really no explanation for this then unless the kindle registration is corrupted or linked to the grandsons account. You’ll next need to call amazon and give them the serial number of the kindle (from the menu under device) and ask if they can unlock it.