E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have just activated a new Kindle reader. How do I (1)

Customer Question
I have just activated...

I have just activated a new Kindle reader. How do I (1) delete unwanted books, and (2) how do I have them listed by title/author instead of seeing the whole of the front cover of the book?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kindlepaperwhite model DP755DI

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I've only just activated it today in place of my second Kindle which has given up the ghost. I've had this third Kindle about 6 months but not activated it until today.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: E-Readers
11/10/2017
Electronics Technician: Randy Boman, Technician replied 8 months ago
Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician

Hi ,

My name is Randy,

I will be glad to assist you with this.

There are two ways to delete books from your Kindle. You can do it right on your device by going to the book you no longer want and selecting “remove from device” or you can permanently delete the book through your Kindle account on the computer.

• Turn your Kindle on. Once you’re on your Home Screen navigate through your library until you find the book you no longer want.
  • When you select the book it will give you a list of options –select “Remove from Device.” The book will go into your Archive. Files in your Archive are not fully stored on your device, but are there to maintain the record of your purchase.
  • If you want to remove the book permanently you can do that as well. Sign into the Amazon account you have linked with your Kindle and go to “Manage Your Content and Devices.” You should be looking at a list of your purchases. Find the book you want to delete and click the “…” button on the left side of the title.
  • From the drop down menu, select “delete.” You will be prompted to confirm whether or not you want to delete the file. Click the yellow “Yes, delete permanently” button to remove the file from your library.
  • The Kindle provides some sorting options that can make this a lot easier. Try the List View to make this a bit easier. Tap on All Items at the top of your library list and select List View.
1 - I thought my new reader would automatically tap into what was saved on my outdated reader. It doesn't. It doesn't give me a list of the books I've got lined up to read, whether in full or as samples. I'm looking at pages and pages of front covers of books, including ones I deleted from my old reader.
2 - Now I've set up a list under Collection, but it still shows book front cover, which I don't want. I just was a list of title/author. How can I do that?
I'm too hot and bothered to keep going with this. I'll follow up another day. Thanks anyway.
Carol
Let me know when you are ready to proceed.
I don't want to call. I go to Home, then My Library, then I see full front cover of the books, instead of just text of book name and author. This annoying list also contains books I removed from my previous Kindle. On my previous Kindle I could hold on those books I wanted to delete than press Delete. This option doesn't seem to be available. So now I have 37 pages of book covers; some wanted, some not. What to do? Thanks, Carol

That sounds like you have the "Cloud" option selected instead of the "Device" option.

• From Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Create New Collection.
  • To edit or delete a collection:
    1. From Home, press and hold the collection title.
    2. Tap to Add/Remove Items, Rename, Remove from device, or Delete.
Sorry - which is the Menu icon? Is it "My Library" or "My Reading Lists", or neither?
It should be top left on your screen.
The top left of my screen reads "Carol's 3rd Kindle
Under that is the House icon, which I assume is Home. Is the Menu called something else?
C

do you see my library with the options for list, etc..

34;My Library" and "My Reading Lists" plus large front cover picture of the book I'm currently reading, plus smaller front cover of a book I deleted from Kindle 2, plus smaller front cover of a book I've ordered as a sample.
Now what?
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 8 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

I would like to be able to handle this Kindle as easily as I was able to handle the previous one before I wore it out!
Thanks.

The Kindle will always show the cloud books unless you delete them from your Amazon account.

Did you delete them from there?

I've just discovered that I had to do that via my computer. On previous Kindles I didn't, so I was/am confused. Nevertheless, I'm starting to delete books back to 2012 ! plus develop a Collection. But, the Collection shows the full front cover of the book, not just a list of book name and author. Am I stuck with this, or can I change the format from front cover picture to text?

on the Home screen press the Menu icon and select List View