E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have just received a new Kindle paperwhite and the only…

Customer Question
I have just received...

I have just received a new Kindle paperwhite and the only instructions were how to start up by connecting battery, etc. However my screen came up in Spanish, which I do not read. Surely there is some way to get English in order to proceed

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is brand new . I have no statement as to the make/model

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just received it yesterday. I have done no "trouble shooting". I have an older original model Kindle that has always worked satisfactorily and it included instructions for me in English. This opens with "Connectarse a una red wifi . >" I assume it would get me to instructions for further use in Spanish.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I believe when I first opened it , it had a list of languages and I might have pushed a wrong one for Spanish. Or something. I am in my nineties and not sophisticated in this apparent new swift rechnology.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: E-Readers
10/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Technician replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try holding down the Power switch for 20+ or 30+ seconds, or until it restarts.

Wait several minutes after that - see if it comes up in English.

Then if it does, proceed as if it were new - as indeed it is, hopefully.

If it comes up in Spanish again, just notify the seller that it is no good, and return it. It should be in English, and/or it should reset to English by that means.

I received your advice and it did not succeed. I will return the Kindle to the seller

I'm sorry to hear that. This should theoretically work - if you know enough Spanish:

from the Home screen,

tap the Menu (three-lines) icon, and then tap

Settings. (Ajustes ??)

Tap on Language and Dictionaries, and then tap on

Language (Lingua)

and then select English.