E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Kobo ereader frozen want respond to turning off on pressing…

Customer Question
Kobo ereader frozen...

Kobo ereader frozen want respond to turning off on pressing reset button on the screen is three solid squares out of five and updating down the bottom

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

About 2 years old can you tell me how to find model number please

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Kobo gloHD has only happen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Ned over last week while on holidays was fine then needed recharging then this happened

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: E-Readers
10/4/2017
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 7 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you.

It sounds as though your Kobo encountered a problem while trying to apply an update and it is now "stuck". In cases like this, you'll need to do a factory reset. This will reset your Kobo to its original, "out of the box" settings. After you reset your Kobo, you'll need to use Kobo Desktop to get your books. You will need a paperclip(unfolded) to do a factory reset. Please do the following steps:

1. While pressing and holding the Home button, turn your Kobo over and look for a small pinhole hole on the back.
  2. Insert one end of the paperclip into the pinhole, pressing gently until you feel a click.
  3. You should still be pressing and holding the home button. Don't release the home button yet but you can remove the paperclip.
  4. Remove the paperclip.
  5. When you see "Restoring..." on your Kobo you let go of the Home button.
  6. When the Restore procedure has completed, use your USB cable to connect it to your computer.
  7. Open Kobo Desktop, and sync your eReader as usual to get your books back on your Kobo.

Please give this a try and let me know the results.

That is not working it's a kobo gloHD

Thank you for that additional information. The instructions for resetting A Kobo Glo HD to factory are similar, but the small hole will be located on the bottom of your device, next to the Micro USB slot.

Kobo Glo HD - Performing a manual factory reset

Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours. Turn your device off, if at all possible, before beginning the rest process. Note: If you have difficulty, try pressing and holding the power button until you see Powered off on your screen.

1. Insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
    You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.
  2. When you see square icons on the screen, once again insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
  3. Repeat step 2 twice more. The screen should turn black. You may see a Critical error message. If so, don't be alarmed. This is normal.
  4. Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.
  5. When the Factory ReSet procedure has completed, use your USB cable to connect it to your computer. Open Kobo Desktop, and sync your eReader as usual to get your books back on your Kobo.

PLEASE NOTE: When you do a Factory Reset procedure on your device you'll lose any bookmarks and annotations that you've made since your last successful sync and you may lose books that you added manually using your computer or that you added using Adobe Digital Editions, or that you manually added using your computer. Any books that were purchased from Kobo can be downloaded again easily from the Kobo cloud, or by using KOBO DESKTOP software and your usb cable.

You may click on the link below to access the KOBO GLO HD User Manual.

http://download.kobobooks.com/ereader/guide/alyssum/userguide_en_US.pdf

It is in pdf format and can be saved to your computer for future reference. YOu will see information regarding the FACTORY RESET process on page 65. You may want to review it if my instructions are not clear. On page 20 and 21 you will find instructions for setting up your KOBO using either Wifi or the Kobo Desktop software.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful , would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating. You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Hopefully, I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech