E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My Paperwhite screen is frozen. Button produces no response.

Customer Question
My Paperwhite screen is...

My Paperwhite screen is frozen. Button produces no response

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Model DP75SDI - 2-3 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Never before. Holding button for long time doesn't work

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thank you - I love my Paperwhite and need it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: E-Readers
10/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 10 months ago
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

As I said before, holding the power button to off for even longer than 35 seconds has no effect, except that from time to time while I am holding the button to off the screen flickers momentarily, and then immediately resumes its frozen display. I've done this many many times already, always without success. As far as I can see there simply is not any other method of controlling this Paperwhite Kindle; if this is indeed so, how can you be confident that you can unfreeze my screen?

Thanks

It is the internal memory that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I sent you £3 yesterday, and now your colleague, Pearl, is asking for another £3 to put me in touch with your E-reader specialist. What's going on? Can you or can't you solve this problem?
Thanks, ***** ***** to you on this It is the internal memory that has faulted. A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you