E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I haven't used my Kindle Fire in a time. It is extremely…

Customer Question
Hi! I haven't used...

Hi! I haven't used my Kindle Fire in a long time. It is extremely unresponsive to whatever I ask it to do. Also I somehow got the voice reader on and I would like to know how to get it off. I cannot open settings or anything.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Probably about four maybe five years old. No idea the model and it is unresponsive to my effort to get the home screen up.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I'm sorry. I tried to use it a few weeks ago to see if it would work for my trip. I thought maybe I should get a new one, but I can read a book of its choosing and right now its reading everything to me, but won't do anything FOR me. I don't remember much about troubleshooting. it's been a long time since I used it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess I thought maybe an expert could give me a trick to try or something. It's almost as if it's stiff and sore from sitting too long!!

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: E-Readers
9/23/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.