E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

We have two kindles in the house and want to link them so we…

Customer Question
Hi we have two...

Hi we have two kindles in the house and want to link them so we can share books, however, I cannot figure how to di it.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

About a year old, make is kindle version 5.8 kindle paperwhite

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don't think they were ever linked together...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

That should do it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
9/9/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Technician replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you want to share the books from one Amazon account? or books from two or more different Amazon.com accounts?

we both have amazon account, though my partners is prime. we would like to have access so that we can read each other books.

Do you both have the same Amazon account and username?

Or do you have different Amazon account and usernames?

I think we have two separate account with different names..

That is definitely a difficult thing to set up, then. You can 'gift' books from one account to the other - but at a cost to the account that is giving the gift. Or you can have both Kindles on one account, which would mean buying one book for one charge to the account, but getting that book on both Kindles.

But as for simply getting each other's books for nothing... the most effective way, with two different accounts, is to swap Kindles. And I suppose that wouldn't do as a solution.

how do I arrange to have both kindles on Marks account which is the prime account ?
Is there a way to transfer my kindle to his account so that we can share?

OK... that can be done. You would lose access to your account, on your Kindle. Your Kindle would be erased of all of your account's books... though those books would still be in your account online, and be readable from a Kindle Reader application on a computer or an iPad or iPhone, etc.

If that is acceptable, let me know, and I will instruct you how to proceed.

What is the simplest method to combine account and be able to share books.
Can we transfer the books to marks account then combine, so we don't lose those that I have already purchased?

The method is this:

On your Kindle device, to switch it to Mark's account and thus get acces to his books, you go to

Home screen

Settings

Register (for your Kindle)

and choose Deregister.

When you choose that, your Kindle is un-linked from your account, placed in a neutral status, may perhaps be erased of your books also, and is, after a bit, open to being

Registered... to Mark's Amazon account, with his account name and his account's password.

Then your Kindle will, after that, have access to Mark's books, and can order books and charge them to his account, etc. Just as if it were his Kindle.

Is that a good solution for you?

Hi when I go to device is says "marks 2nd kindle".
I "deregister" my account and put it into neutral. Now I am going to enter marks information and re register the book..At this stage. I think we have figured it out. I will now check. Am not seeing my books on Marks library or his on mine..?

If your Kindle is 'Marks 2nd Kindle', then you already have it on Mark's Amazon account, it would *seem*... but maybe that's just a name.

Is your Kindle buying books on your account, or on his account? is the real question. If it's already on his account, it cannot be switched ... it's already there, so to speak.

It is still the same way, not showing us the other persons books. It appears that when I buy a book Mark gets notified by email and charges all go through on his credit card

OK. So... they're on different accounts for charges. Or the Kindles are registered to a different credit card but both are registered to his account.

I'm not sure which. You may have to call Amazon Customer Support to figure it out... unless the situation is obvious. Did you do the deregistering, then registering to his Amazon.com account, already?

Hey were both purchased at same time and under Marks name.
They are not showing as sharing currently.
I did un register mine and set up to be sharing with Marks book, but nothing happened.

Try going into My Library now, and see if the books on Mark's Kindle can now be downloaded from there... if so, there will be no charge I think (if they are in My Library on your Kindle now, as opposed to being browsed for and bought, for which there would be a charge.)

Does it look as if My Library's books, have changed over to Mark's books?

I show 9 pages of books while Mark shows just 3....

Are they still your books? the ones you bought, previously, on your Kindle?

the ones I bought are on my kindle and it appears that the ones mark bought are on his..

So - if you Deregistered, then Registered, just now... did you Register again, using Mark's username/email for his Amazon.com account, and the password ***** his Amazon account also?

I reset using Marks information and password.
Should I de register M arks kindle as well?

Then you must have had it originally registered in Mark's name and on his account, but specially arranged to be on your own sub-account, or some such esoteric special arrangement that cannot be easily undone. I recommend that you call Amazon Customer Support - and no, don't re-register Mark's Kindle, at all, that would mess things up - call Amazon, to check on this, on the status of your Kindle especially. They can be reached at

1(###) ###-####/p>

and once you have checked on the current status and standing of your Kindle device, with them, get back to me, here, and I will tell you how to proceed... or perhaps they will tell you how to share books from his device to yours... unless we've already achieved that now.

Let me know how it turns out, please.

Ok will do. thank you.

I hope that I helped you with my advice. If so, and if the case may be closed, would you be willing to rate my work and my answer? (And if you need further help or advice, let me know, and I will continue to help toward a solution.)