Josh, Technician
Experience:  E-reader expert
50836188

I tried to order a book but a sign came up that I don't have

I tried to order a book but a sign came up that I don't have a valid credit card on the Amazon account.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I tried doing it on my kindle but wouldn't work and can't find the settings on Amazon .com. The kindle must be 15 years old. Amazon kindle
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Today is my first problem. When I try to do it on the kindle I get an error message and now it says Kindle is unable to load page.
JA: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

In order to help you, I need to ask first, a rather odd-sounding question perhaps: When was the last time you bought something from or with your Amazon account? if it was before September 1st, perhaps your existing and recorded credit card, in your Amazon.com account, has expired (or its expiry date was Sept. 2017 or 9/17)... and its details might need updating in your account.

Would you like instruction on how to do that? let me know, please, and I will advise you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think May of this year. Please send instructions on how to up date credit card ing.

OK! is your Kindle device a Kindle Fire, or a lesser / older model of Kindle, please? the instructions differ between those two groups of Kindle devices.

It must be an older model, you say it is 15 years old. Not a Kindle Fire, I presume... I am preparing and typing your instructions now and will post them within 10 minutes, or less I hope...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it is kindle fire. Tks

Go to Manage Your Content And Devices, on your Kindle device.

(Ask for help if you cannot find that... it isn't easy on some older Kindles.)

Then, choose the Settings

then choose the Edit Payment Method (in the Digital Payment Methods section perhaps)

then choose the (presumably expired?/outdated) credit card already entered there

then choose Edit (or choose Edit my card then choose the card, in some cases, or chose Continue perhaps...)

then, correct or approve each part of the credit card's details, until you get to the expiration date, which probably is what needs updating to the new expiration date, if you have received a new card last month.

Then save those changes.

Let me know how that goes, esp. if there's any trouble with the process... I will help you further as needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't find manage your device. Should I deregister and start again as my name is ***** ***** Should be Marion. My kindle is 3.4.2(###) ###-####

Deregistering will erase your Kindle back to factory issue condition, perhaps (depending upon exactly what model the Kindle itself is.)

Can you go to the Home screen, then to Settings (which ought to be a 'gear' icon), then tell me what choices you see there?

On the other hand, *if* your Kindle might somehow be registered to the wrong person, by all means deregister it, and then when it restarts, Register it back to your very correct own username and password ***** your Amazon.com account. By the way: if you are uncertain of your Amazon account's password, we can get through that difficulty also.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see settings on the home page. I see settings under menu but can't see where I can change anything. I haven't had a problem getting books before with Marian

Perhaps you simply misspelled your name when you registered your Amazon.com account originally, when the account was created? but no-matter for that.

I'm not sure what Kindle you have.

Under 'Settings', do you see 'Account'? if so choose that, then choose 1-Click Payment Details (or similar reference).

Let me know how that goes, please. If that doesn't work, we may have to update your Amazon account on a computer or, if your Kindle has a Silk web browser, by way of a web page (which will work, for sure.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to go right now. Will get back to you in half hour.

That's fine - take your time. I'll talk to you then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm back. There is not account under settings. There is registation, device name, wi-fi settings, device inf, voicr guide, send to email, password, parental controls, time, networks, highlights, nites, backup.

OK, no account there, then. What does Device Inf. say about your Kindle, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wi-fi mac address:28:ef:01:ea:f7:12
Serial number: boo6 a0a0 1095 04h7
Network capability: wi-fi and 3g

Good! with a serial number like that, your Kindle is presumably the type with a set of physical keys, in a full keyboard, below the screen... is that what your Kindle is like?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
221;es

Good! search for this please:

https://www.amazon.com/mycd

on your Kindle. It ought to open Web Browser, and bring you to the Manage Your Content And Devices page.

From there, you go to

Settings

then to

Edit Payment Method... does that work, so far?

If so, chose the credit card, then edit it, probably putting in the newly issued card's new expiration date.

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says no items

Interesting.

You may have to Add A Payment Method, then. Does that begin to work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think I tried to open website right. I had website on line then moved over and pushed search for items.

This might help instead:

http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't get the website to open

Tap on the antenna icon. Connect to your WiFi. Then try the website again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where is the antenna icon. I am connected to wifi

Good. Then.... you need to get that web page up.

Can you search for

https://www.amazon.com/mycd

From there, you go to ... well, let me know whether that works, so far.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I put in the website. Then what do I do

Does it bring you to the

Manage Your Content And Devices page?

And have you used your Kindle Keyboard since March 2016, until now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have used it in may this year. I don't know how to open website

Can you Search?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found search and got a sign in page. Now I get box saying unable to load page.

You may not be connected to WiFi then. Double-check on that, please. (If you need instructions, let me know.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I searched goggle and now have websites to manage your contents and devices and there is one to update credit card.

OK! good. Can you edit the stored credit card details there? or is it a different card than your current valid card? if the latter, you will have to Add a New credit card entry in, all the details. Editing is easier, if there is one stored there, that has simply expired.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would 't open. Says unable to load page. Is there some way I can do this in my computer. I tried this morning but the only account that I could find was the one I opened this month with amazon to buy products. Maybe if I try Marian.

Try it on your computer, yes. Use the same Amazon account login, that you have your Kindle registered to.

Go to (on your computer)

https://www.amazon.com/mycd

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try this later. Have to go now. Thank you for your patience.

You're welcome. Have a good day meanwhile.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We spoke on the 9th about me not having an account. I went on line and found a place to edit my credit card and the card it showed was the right one and expiry date was right. Also if I don't have an account why is there a $5 and $44 charge showing?
Marion

I regret hearing of your concern.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

(Was it an account here at JustAnswer.com that you did not have apparently? or was it an Amazon.com account you apparently did not have?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I tried to order a book. A sign came up that I did not have a valid credit card account. But I had ordered one in May.

Perhaps the credit card has 'expired' and been reissued since then? The commonest failure of online credit cards as charging / payment methods, is when they e.g. have an 'expires 7/17' date on them, and are reissued with a new (e.g. 'expires 7/20') date on them but otherwise unchanged. That might be why the credit card is now regarded as invalid; you will need to go into the credit card info registered online, and check and correct any such discrepancy. That's my first suggestion. I hope this helps!

If it does help, please let me know. If you need more help, I will help you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is my kindle I am having trouble with. I e-mailed to a staff member at (just answer) last week. My kindle says I don't have a valid credit card on file. I checked on line and the card they have is good . Also after chatting with the staff member my credit card was charged $4 and $44. How canthat be if I don't have a valid credit card with them?

Also after chatting with the staff member my credit card was charged $4 and $44. How canthat be if I don't have a valid credit card with them?

- Which staff member did you chat with? it surely was not me... Who charged you those amounts, please? If it was JustAnswer, it is a concern for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The $5 was reversed. I only spoke to you.

I think the invalid credit card is with Amazon.com. Of course JustAnswer couldn't charge you if you don't have a valid c.c. with JustAnswer.

But JustAnswer and Amazon are two different organizations, completely.

Can I proceed to help you with the Kindle and/or Amazon problem, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was charged $44 on Sept 9 from just answer*expert I(###) ###-#### It looks like I was also charged $44 on Sept 12. Same number
What is going on?

That 800 number is ***** JustAnswer that I know of. To identify that phone #, please go to

1-***-***-****

and talk to JustAnswer Customer Service about the 44 $ charge on Sept. 12, whoever charged it to you, and cite the phone # or id # I(###) ###-####to them. They will tell you whether you were charged by JustAnswer, a JustAnswer contractor or worker, or someone else altogether.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not happy, new Expert please. Thanks.

I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts here at JustAnswer.

You may call our customer service at 1-***-***-**** to discuss any charges

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I am ready to talk to you about my kindle problem. It says I do not have a valid credit card. I ordered a book in May of this year. Worked fine. My kindle will not let me open any web sites. When I go on the computer under amazon.com/mycd it shows my husbands credit card # . We used it a few months ago to buy some products.
Marion

If your Kindle will not let you open any websites then it is not connected to your Wi-Fi network.

Please make sure it is connected

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
it shows it is turned on.

Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30 seconds until the Kindle restarts

If that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
it took awhile to come on but did. then I went to buy a book and I get the same message. Then it says if you want to set up credit card click yes . It says it is unable to load.

What is the exact error message?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
You do not have valid a credit card for your Amazon.com account. You can set up your default credit card now on www.amazon.com/mycd by selecting "settings" or directly from your kindle. Would you like to set up your credit card now?

Okay, I think I know the issue. Even though the card is on file, it is not saved as the one-click payment.

Click here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/account/address/view.html?OneClickSettingsQuery=1

1. Click Click here to change your 1-Click default address, then click Edit next to the payment method for the address.

Note: To change your default shipping method, click Edit next to 1-Click settings for this address. All 1-Click orders for items fulfilled by sellers other than Amazon.com are shipped via Standard Shipping.

2. Follow the on-screen instructions to save your 1-Click settings.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I WENT TO THE WEBSITE AND MY ADDRESS IS RIGHT I clicked on edit and it shows my address and name and different shipping days I left it on the 1st one and clicked continue. It went back to previous page and says your updates have been successfully applied. I didn't change anything

Did you make sure that your card on file was listed with the 1-click settings?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I clicked on payment method and it shows my husband's card
Have you spoken to Amazon over the phone?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
no
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
If I reregister the kindle do I loss the books I have on it that I haven't read.

No, all of the books are stored on the Amazon server so they will download again.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Should I try that.

Yes, I believe you should.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I am going to deregister it after I read the books I have on it. I will rate our sessions. Tks

Okay, thank you.

Josh, Technician
Experience: E-reader expert