Josh, Technician
Experience:  E-reader expert
50836188

I am unable to swipe my kindle to start reading. It is only

Customer Question

I am unable to swipe my kindle to start reading.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is only about a year old. I'm thinking it's a paperwhite - but I could be wrong. We were recently on vacation and I was trying to buy a new book and that is when I started having problems.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried holding the back button down. That takes me to a screen that gives me options to cancel, restart, or screen off - but I am unable to choose any of those options.
JA: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a screen up showing a page of books I downloaded but I can not open any of the books
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Try the reboot again please- up to three times and see if that works.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

Is it over or under a year old?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just about a year old
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

If the above steps did not work then there is a hardware issue with your Kindle.

Since you are outside of the warranty period (1 year warranty) Kindle will probably not issue a replacement but they normally give great discounts for a current Amazon customer to upgrade to the Kindle Fire.

In SOME cases they will grant the 1year warranty for a customer and give you a replacement. That is completely up to Amazon and is on a case to case basis that I have no control over.

Please call Amazon here ---> 1-***-***-****

Let them know that your Kindle has hardware issues and you need a replacement

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.