E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My husband bought me a kindle white paper reader in April…

Customer Question
My husband bought me...

My husband bought me a kindle white paper reader in April and last week it stopped working. The screen still lights up but it doesn't respond to the touch commands. What do I do? Lisa

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

My husband bought it 4/19/2017 and it's the white paper version $119

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It stopped working two weeks ago. Tried charging it. turning it on and off and tried resetting it all to no avail

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: E-Readers
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

The screen won't respond to touch so when the screen with cancel restart or screen off comes up it won't respond Also there is a white line across the screen
no thank you
please refund my good faith $5 and cancel my request. Thanks any way Going to try another route

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I have no control over any billing or account matters, we're all independent techs here. You have paid the full agreed upon fees to the site (which was not 5, that was just the starting deposit).

I am asking you to conduct the reset steps while ignoring anything you see on screen, don't touch the screen at all, just press and hold the poewr button for the full 20 seconds, a minimum of 5 times.

I have rebooted it--the touch screen doesn't respond. Please close my account

Again, I have no such ability, your fees were paid to the site, not to me. I can continue helping you under the fees you've already paid, if you wish. There are additional steps to take here.

Dan T.
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician