E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

I inherited a kindle from my mother in law who died from…

Customer Question
I inherited a kindle...

I inherited a kindle from my mother in law who died from cancer. She had been given a kindle model number GU045RW by my wife and I but she rarely used it, if ever. The problem is, she put a password ***** it and we are unable to use the device. How can we get it reset to factory settings? Should I send it to you for reset?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

The make is Amazon, I guess and the model number is *****

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

We tried to reset the password ***** it would not work.. Every step we take the device asks for information that we do not have relating to her.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?

Do you want the markings on the back like FCE0700 and other symbols?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/7/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 6 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than the above.

I don't remember the steps
We just can't get her ownership off the device. Can you do it?

Yes, likely so.

Thank you for allowing me time to compose the steps/procedures.

Does the kindle have a charger or will any mini USB charger work?

The Amazon Kindle also follows the standards for USB charger; i.e. any (5V) USB charger would serve the purpose.

Bear with me just a little more on the procedures; 2-sets of step process.

Please click HERE.

Post back results / observations of the above once tried.

I didn't get any items when I pushed settings. Instead, I got a pop-up asking for a childs access control pin

Were you able to successfully perform the first part, the Hardware RESET?

No. I don't even know what the home screen is supposed to look ike. Is it the Kindle Fire or the picture of file tabs?

Were you able to find the power button on the back of the HDX?

I never got a quick settings tab. I held down the power button and the screen went black. I pressed the power button and the device came to life with a Kindle Fire logo. After a few minutes, a picture of file tabs came up. I swiped down and a row of choices appeared, one of which was settings. I pressed settings and the child security pop-up came up. I pressed cancel and a new row of choices came up and none was settings.

Are you able to login into your mother in laws Amazon account?

No. All passwords, wifi information and other information about Kathryn Keekley died with her.

Please click HERE and HERE. Hopefully the video tutorials may provide insight.

She had her own fios router, that we provided
What buttons is the little boy pressing in the tutorial, it wasn't clear.

Press and hold the POWER button and the VOLUME button until.....

I guess this machine will have to be put in the trash. I can't get anywhere with the procedures provided

A last try:

1. On the lock screen, swipe from the right side edge of the screen.
  2. Enter an incorrect password ***** PIN (at least 6 characters in length) five times. ...
  3. Tap Reset to reset your device to factory defaults.
sorry, it has locked me out, it goes out the door. Give me my help money back

My participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues as well as related information.

Request for cancellation, refunds as well as billings & payments concerns are best addressed by Customer Support.

Dan T.
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician