Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

Well, I got this weird thing, several times the kindle told

Customer Question

Well, I got this weird thing, several times the kindle told me it was unable to log onto my gmail account. I entered my then password ***** it was okay. Tonight I got the message again that I coudl not log on. So I changed my password ***** saw that the Kindle was saying I used a new device to log on with a KWOSFI or something like that. I went through a security check and it seemed ok, but what what is this KWO thing?
JA: How's your internet connection? Are you checking Gmail from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?
Customer: The kindle was on wif-fi with my desktop I think and I was going directly through the email envelope icon.
JA: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: noting i guess
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, which password *****; ...for your email? ...or for your WiFi?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The password ***** had to enter to log in to Google was my email password.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to know if this KWOSIF or whatever it was is legit or was I somehow hacked
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My kindle said I had used a new device, this KOWSFI or whatever it was. But I only had the kindle itself, my cell phone and another tablet a Zeepad which I rarely use
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its KFSOWI
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Let's try the basics...

Please click HERE.

Scroll down to "Transfer & Install the Latest Software Update Manually".
Play the video tutorial.
Scroll a bit further down. Select your Kindle's model/version and then click on the "...Kindle...Software Updates..." for your model/version.
A new page would open with instructions on how to manually download and install the latest software update available for your Kindle.
Thereafter, it may require several re-booting/restarting.
This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok but what the heck is this?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

"KFSOWI" has something to do with programming the Kindle. A possibility is that the firmware was corrupted and it has gone into developer mode. Hence tha above updating the firmware.

Performing a software update would then serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do not have a cable to connect kindle to my pc as video says
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

How is the Kindle able to be charged pleasae?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a cable that plugs into the wall, then into kindle. Video says need wire with USB end
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, yes.

Still, is the Kindle fully operational? ...works as expected?

except this KWOSFI display a couple of times