E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a kindle 2.5.4 and I went back to factory defaults…

Customer Question
I have a kindle...

I have a kindle 2.5.4 and I went back to factory defaults and now it won't register and I can't retrieve my books

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Not sure but at least 10 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I hadn't used it in years. but remember that I was getting a message that it couldn't retrieve. I can buy on the internet thru the device. it connects

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, let's try check the basics; ...have you considered / tried performing a software update of the Kindle? ...manually with the use of a computer?

No I didn't know I could do that. On my computer and iphone I have all my books.

Let's give that a try considering "...hadn't used it in years..."

Please click HERE.

Scroll down to "Transfer & Install the Latest Software Update Manually".
Play the video tutorial.
Scroll a bit further down. Select your Kindle's model/version and then click on the "...Kindle...Software Updates..." for your model/version.
A new page would open with instructions on how to manually download and install the latest software update available for your Kindle.
Thereafter, it may require several re-booting/restarting.
This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.