Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My kindle reader's keyboard and function buttons have

Customer Question

My kindle reader's keyboard and function buttons have started acting up. Other than rebooting (turning off and on) how do I reset my reader?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's 3rd generation -- it's probably 5 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just started this morning after I purchased a new book. I have held the power button to restart the reader several times. I have turned wireless off and on, when I could get the arrows to work. Sometimes the pages turn and sometimes they don't. Then the screen flashes to th list of books, back to where I was reading and so on for several seconds. I finally hold the power button to turn it off. this still does not fix the issues.
JA: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please try those steps and let me know what happens.