E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My kindle reader's keyboard and function buttons have

Customer Question
My kindle reader's keyboard...

My kindle reader's keyboard and function buttons have started acting up. Other than rebooting (turning off and on) how do I reset my reader?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It's 3rd generation -- it's probably 5 years old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just started this morning after I purchased a new book. I have held the power button to restart the reader several times. I have turned wireless off and on, when I could get the arrows to work. Sometimes the pages turn and sometimes they don't. Then the screen flashes to th list of books, back to where I was reading and so on for several seconds. I finally hold the power button to turn it off. this still does not fix the issues.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please try those steps and let me know what happens.