E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My Kindle model D1200 is frozen. The new book NOMAD by

Customer Question
Matthew Mather appears on the...
My Kindle model D1200 is frozen. The new book NOMAD by Matthew Mather appears on the screen and I can't clear it. I have fully charged it and did a hard boot. It will not turn on or off and the screen is frozen
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried:

• press and hold (or depending on the version, slide and hold) the POWER button for a full 40 seconds;
  • even after the screen went blank;
  • then release the POWER button;
  • press or slide the POWER button to restart if the Kindle does not re-start on its own;
  • should the screen be still be unresponsive, then plug in Kindle using the USB cord or the A/C power adapter that came with it;
  • recommend charging the Kindle with an Amazon power adapter;
  • allow the Kindle to charge for 30 minutes, unplug it, and then try to restart again.
I followed your instructions but the screen is still frozen and Kindle will not respond using the power button

I understand.

Can you please charge the Kindle for at least 30 minutes?

...and try the above again?

I already had it on charge all night!

Then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

I have a soldering iron

If comfortable with the DIY, please post back with clear pictures of the battery compartment. Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Explain how to open my Kindle to send you a photo of the battery compartment!

Please click HERE. Hopefully the video (though for another version) may provide insight.

The idea is to cautiously open the Kindle to check the battery connections.

And perform a hardware RESET by carefully disconnecting / removing the battery for an extended period of time.