E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I suspect it was stolen. Can anyone verify usage in the past…

Customer Question
I suspect it was...

I suspect it was stolen. Can anyone verify usage in the past 24 hours?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

3rd gen HD Fire, about 5 years old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It went missing last night, around 8PM, 26 hours ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?

Can it's address be determined? I had just installed "Find my Kindle" on it, but had not yet linked it to this computer.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: E-Readers
8/4/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Technician replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

As for usage - look for charges to your Amazon.com account, the account the Kindle device was Registered to, that date since it was lost. That will tell something of usage, for sure.

About the subject of your question, there is some good news which I will give you in a moment... but also some cautions:
1. Amazon cannot locate your missing or stolen Kindle. However, *if* you had installed a certain app (called Locate My Kindle from Lab4Apps) on the Kindle already, it would be locatable as if by GPS device, the instant it is turned on (or maybe the instant it is registered, I am not sure of the details... http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9217413.htm ).
2. Without 'Locate My Kindle', you may never get the Kindle back.

The good news is, you can prevent theft of anything but the Kindle itself (the hardware, that is the tablet itself) by de-registering her Kingle from your Amazon account. That way, when the Kindle is next turned On, it will have all books etc. that were downloaded to it, erased from it (or, transfered back to your account), and the account authorizations of hers will not be usable from it.

To de-register the Kindle from your Amazon account - and do it soon, before the thief (if it was stolen) can use it much - do as follows:

(...the summary of what to do and why, is well put on this page: http://dmediamom.com/2013/06/04/what-to-do-when-your-kindle-or-kindle-fire-is-lost-stolen/ but if you want something less general and more specific, follow these instructions:)

First of all, call Amazon Kindle support, and report the device stolen or lost (or whatever you presume it is.)
Get the serial number of the Kindle from them - unless you have the serial number of it from the box it was delivered in or the like. Once it is de-registered, they cannot access the serial number for you. (The serial number will be useful.)

Second, given that you are in the US, *call* Amazon Kindle support, so as to get this done promptly, at 1-***-***-****.

Third, to do the de-registering (AFTER you have contacted Amazon AND secured the serial number... so it's best to call Amazon, not use on-web means, unless you already have the serial #), follow instructions (the sub-set 'From your computer') on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201195240&qid=1378487581&sr=1-1

essentially, you go to Amazon.com's site, (log in, then) go to Manage Your Kindle, then to Manage Your Devices, then under Registered Kindles click on Deregister (in 'Actions' col.) and to confirm, click Deregister again.