E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

The screen has half a picture from resting state and it will…

Customer Question
The screen has half...

The screen has half a picture from resting state and it will not clear

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

It's aa amazonkindle , 5ish yrs old. Model # D00901

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your D00901? What have you tried so far?

It started this afternoon. I was reading and shut it down. Opened it later and screen would not clear. 2/3rds of top part have screen saver.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?

Not that is can think of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

I have tried holding the button for 40 seconds with no change, I will try again.
I held the slide, the tree did come up, it rebooted but the image of the resting screen is still there. It's like a portion of that screen is "burned"
Is there anyway to "black" the screen and see is that helps?
Still there?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

At this point it is likely that there is internal damage to the eink display screen,

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Technician