E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

I have an older kindle with the keyboard at the bottom. It…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older kindle with the keyboard at the bottom. It quit working. I disconnected the battery to try to re-set. Now I have only the lower half of screen. Can I send in for repairs? I really like this model kindle.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

How can I tell?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Started yesterday. I took off the back cover. Disconnected battery I kindle started working again but with only lower half of screen.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/2/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute). If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If the reboot doesn't work, then this would require repairs and there are 3rd party repair services- but it would appear half of your display is faulty- and the minimum cost for that type of repair is in the $160 range (which is not considered cost effective). In that case, it would be money better spent to put that same money towards replacement of the Kindle- all of your downloaded books and content will "Sync" to the new Kindle once it's registered to your Amazon account.

However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, you can try contacting the site at the link below (as they are a Kindle repair service):

http://www.missionrepair.com

Alternatively, current model Kindles can be viewed and purchased at the link below if you wanted to go that route:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b?ie=UTF8&node=6669702011

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician