E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I went to open my kindle and only half the page was

Customer Question
I went to open...

I went to open my kindle and only half the page was readable. Half the page had words and the other half was gone.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

It just happened and it's the first time it's happened. My Kindle is about ten years old. I simply tried to charge it. Shut it off and turn it back on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: E-Readers
8/1/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If the device still does not work beyond that, then this would indicate a hardware fault in the Kindle requiring repairs.

In the latter case it's generally not cost effective to repair a 10 year old Kindle (as the cost can encroach what a new replacement one costs). In that case I would suggest replacement versus repairs. Once a new Kindle is purchased and registered to your Amazon account, your books and content will "Sync" to the new device (so none of your books are lost). You can view the various model Kindles at the link below if you'd like:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b?ie=UTF8&node=6669702011

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please view my reply for the answer to your question.

Aric, Technician