E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a pretty old kindle. There used to be about 102

Customer Question
I have a pretty old...
I have a pretty old kindle. There used to be about 102 achieved books on it. I put it away for awhile and now I can't retrieve them. The 30 books on it are fine just no archived ones.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: E-Readers
8/1/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Technician replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Archived items are no longer on your Kindle. You have to retrieve and re-download them, for them to be on your device again.

Archiving an e-book is essentially a space-saving measure, you see.

Do you need instructions on retrieving archived books? first, make sure your Kindle is connected to WiFi and internet... then:

- display the current list of items e.g. in My Library or similar place (depending on what exact model of Kindle you have.)

- select Archived Items

- select the particular items in Archived Items

- queue it that way, for re-download to your Kindle. By and by it won't be in Archived Items, it will be in your current items and fully readable on your Kindle device.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently it isn't connecting to the Internet. I go to "home" and see "Archived Items (0)". When it connected to wifi it used to say 102. So, I go to "menu" and go to "turn wireless on" and do that. My wireless must be "on" now because I get a message that my battery is low and to extend life I should turn the wireless off. I now plug it back in. I go to "sync and check for items". I get this message about the kindle being unable to connect and to try to restart from the menu in settings. I go to "menu" and then "settings". I see nothing in "settings" to do this. Just personal settings. Help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to talk on the phone but I've already paid $28 and have not gotten an answer that helps. I don't want to pay $20 more. You should be able to speak to me for the original $28.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No answer??

It sounds as if your Kindle has a bad battery perhaps, but also it may have a corrupted software set on it. Would you like to try a factory reset? it will wipe all notes and bookmarks off your Kindle device, and put it back in as-issued-from-factory condition, but will presumably cure completely any software problem or issue or corruption that might be making it unable to connect to WiFi and internet... and thus restore access to your Archived items, as well as to all books bought in your Amazon.com account.

If you'd like to try that, then hold down the Power switch for 20+ seconds, and then wait several minutes for the device to wipe itself clean then restart and prompt you for basic setup choices like Language and perhaps Date/Time.