E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I've updated my Kindle 2 (B002) to latest software but it…

Customer Question
I've updated my Kindle...

I've updated my Kindle 2 (B002) to latest software but it still won't connect to the store or register.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kindle 2nd generation

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don't use it much anymore so I'm not sure. I've rebooted more than once, and factory reset it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?

That's about it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
7/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, how was the Kindle updated please?

I downloaded the update on my computer and posted it on the Kindle. Then I ran the update, both 2.5.8 and a smaller one.

Was this Kindle purchased from Amazon using your account?

Many years ago.
Probably around the time it was first released.

Logging in into your Amazon account, does it show up among "Your Content and Devices" ?

I did a factory reset so it isn't registered anymore. I'll check though.

Yes please.

No, it isn't registered since the factory reset.

After the factory reset and immediately after turning it on, was a password *****?

No. I don't have passwords turned on.

"...don't have passwords turned on..." for your WiFi / router?

This device uses whispersync not wifi.
I can't scan for networks either because that's graded out.

Has it been like that with whispersync since then; i.e. "....device uses whispersync not wifi..."

When I bought it, it connected vi whispersync. This is not a wifi device.

I understand.

Have you tried turning off Whispersync even if just for test purposes?

Several times.

In the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page of your Amazon account?

I've deregistered the kindle device in Amazon. I've turned the wireless off and on on the device itself.
If the device was going to register, it would show up as a new device in Amazon because the name is ***** ***** after the factory reset.

Thank you for your patience.

Second to the last question please; what is the serial number of your Kindle?

B002a1a092845783

Even if just to confirm the update was complete and correct, please click HERE.

I've already checked and the updates were successful.
The device is showing the correct version number.

I understand.

Have you brought this to the attention of Amazon?

No. I was under the impression you could help me with this issue. I can work with Amazon if that's necessary.

Based on all of the above, it would appear to be an internal hardware issue.

Okay. I'll check with them.

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to exchange information.