E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

How can I use Amazon Fire Stick with Orange Livebox in

Customer Question
How can I use...

How can I use Amazon Fire Stick with Orange Livebox in France?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Amazon Fire Stick

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just tried using fire stick and I'm getting geo-blocked.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: E-Readers
7/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Eric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Eric, Technician

Hey there, my name is ***** ***** I will personally be assisting you today! I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for services like Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. If you do not wish to request one of those, then disregard them. I will let you know if I recommend we use one.
  • I am on no way credited for my assistance with you unless you rate my service before you leave. Please take just 2 seconds to rate at the top of this page before you exit :) If for any reason I have not provided you excellent service, please let me know before rating
  • When you rate, you are not rating your product, or this website. You are rating my service to you!
Thanks

Well, the answer is actually yes and no. I am assuming you are trying to use a specific app on the Firestick, and you are being told you cannot stream something in your region, correct? If that is the case, then that is where the yes and no comes in. You can use the firestick, but some of the apps and services are blocked due to regional contracts with providers.

I recommend you setup a VPN on your network, that way you can choose to be "in the US" or "in Italy", or in dozens of other countries. This way you can stream what is available in those areas. If you want to do this, I cannot strongly enough recommend PIA (Private Internet Access) as the VPN to use. This is used not only for privacy reasons by millions, but also by millions more just for the exact reason of "geo-hopping". So you can tell your network you are in a different area. 100% legal, by the way, in case you were wondering :)

Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, and remember it is my service you are rating and not this website or your device. If for ANY reason you feel my service has been anything but excellent, please let me know before rating :)

I have a VPN but am still being geo blocked for content through the Fire Stick

Do you have the VPN setup on your wifi router, not just on your computer? If the Firestick is connecting to your wifi, the VPN won't do you any good if the VPN is on your PC and not your router :)

I downloaded the VPN to the Fire Stick itself

Which VPN app? Keep in mind, many of them do not work very well as apps on the stick. This is why it is always recommended to just put it on your router itself.

I used IPVanishVPN
Can you walk me through putting it on router?

I have tested about a dozen VPN apps on the firestick, and none of them ever work for much at all. IPVanish is though, the best of the group to use. Even then, without rooting the Firestick(jailbreaking it), the VPN is never really guaranteed to work.

I can see about you installing it on your router, but it would not be IPVanish. You would need to see if your router model is a compatible device as you would actually be replacing the firmware on your router with opensource firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. What is your router model number?

FBKL00100193048

I don't see anything listed as a router with that model number. You can check here on this list to see if your router is supported.

I don't see it on there...

Alright, then if you have not rooted your Firestick, I would recommend doing that and then trying to use IPVanish. Other than that, you'd need to purchase a secondary router to attach to the one you have which you could install DD-WRT or Tomato. That is really all we can do from there. If you need a link to how to root the Firestick I would be happy to provide that to you.

Please provide the link to root the Fire Stick... what exactly does root mean?How easy is it to set up a secondary router and install DD-WRT?

Rooting the firestick, is like jailbreaking an iPhone. It allows apps to use system resources they are blocked from using otherwise... and allows apps like VPNs to fully run and not just "do their best".

Installing DD-WRT is actually very straight forward. They have very detailed guides on installing it on almost all of their supported routers. Use that list I linked you to. As far as setting it up for use, all you have to do once you install DD-WRT is plug it into the back of your modem like any other device connecting with an ethernet cord.

Thanks... can you provide a link to root the Fire Stick

It is actually much easier to setup a router with DD-WRT than it is to root the firestick. I will link you to the guide on it, but without being there with you I really can't do much to help you root it. I am working on finding you the link with the most detailed information on rooting it, otherwise I am afraid it won't help much.

Here you go, this guy has great videos on how to root/jailbreak the Firestick, and he updates with new videos is Jailbreak gets broken do to an Amazon update so you can jailbreak it again.