info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader Expert
18621325

My Kindle Fire suddenly went very dark, and I can't find any

Customer Question

My Kindle Fire suddenly went very dark, and I can't find any way to get it bright enough to choose audio book. I can (very) faintly see the screen (it is plugged in) but not brightly enough to use.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I bought it a few weeks ago, at Best Buy. "Fire" is all I know. It was the mid-range price, $150 or so, so maybe you can infer what model it is from that. I look at the message printed (faintly) on the back with a magnifying glass. . . ah: the Model Number is ***** The print is very small!
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It happened in the car yesterday, while I was listening to a book, quite happily. I must have touched something! I do not know what I can do to troubleshoot, since I can't see the screen. But I've pushed what buttons there are, the little on-off button the lower left side, and the volume bottom up-down on the lower right, and the littel faintly glowing round "button" in the middle of the botton edge.
JA: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. It worked fine until it didn't. Actually, I've had a lot of trouble with Kindles. They seem to spontaneously fail quite often. The managers in production ought to get in the ball!
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  info tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Whilst this may be a hardware issue I am hopeful you have success doing this>>>

Please reset the kindle by holding down (or slide to the right on early kindles) the on/off switch for 40 seconds (use a watch to time) ignore any messages the kindle may display, then release your finger the kindle should reboot and re-load the operating system, you may have to do this both on and off the charger and upto 4 times before it resets.

Let me know if you need more help OR if this does not work for you.

A positive rating is appreciated thank you (rating bar of stars top of the page thank you) 3 to 5 stars and the site will release credit to me thank you.

Regards

Anthony