Viet - E-reader Tech
Viet - E-reader Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot issues with E-readers.
30037186

I have an older kindle that I use all the time. Yesterday it

Customer Question

I have an older kindle that I use all the time. Yesterday it refused to turn off. Had to just let it sit until it went off by itself. Now it won't turn on. Apparently the on-off switch no longer functions. I don't want to lose all my stuff. What now?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It has nothing to do with the tv' it's a kindle. Never had a problem with it in the past.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just since yesterday. You can't troubleshoot something you can't turn on.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-reader Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Don't worry, even if your kindle is bad, you will not lose your old books.

- Please press and hold (or slide and hold) the Power on / off button / switch on your Kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

- Is there any power / light? Is there anything on the Kindle's screen?

- Does your Kindle have touchscreen?
Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Does it do anything when you keep holding the Power on / off button / switch on your Kindle for a long time?

If needed, please connect the kindle to the computer and see if it charges or not. If needed, make sure to charge the kindle to both the computer and to the electric power outlet, one at a time, and check.

- If all fails, it is a hardware issue; the kindle is bad. Since the kindle is old, you would need a new Kindle. When you get a new Kindle, all your old books will transfer to your new Kindle.

- In the mean time, you can read your Kindle books on a computer at the website below:

https://read.amazon.com

- Or if you have a tablet or smartphone, you can read your Kindle books using the Kindle app, which you can download / install from the Play Store or Play Store.

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,