Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My kindle will no longer turn off or on on command. I just

Customer Question

My kindle will no longer turn off or on on command. I just finished a novel and I can't turn it off. Touching the button does nothing. It was fully charged. If it is "worn out", how can I transfer all my books to a new one OR can it be repaired somewhere locally OR do I have to ship it somewhere? Thank you.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is one of the original ones and I'm ashamed to say I don't know how long I've had it. Using a high light and a magnifying glass, I can read the following: F C in a circle, a trash can with an X over it C an E shaped like a euro, and a 0 with something inside. I cannot read the writing underneath because it is worn off
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: About a week; I try pushing the off and on button; it would turn red, but not green and now it will do nothing. I can't press the home button to go back to the base screen and I have LOTS on it; many free, but some paid for. I was just able to press on the screen and the home came up and I scrolled back to the left, looking for identification data.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: YES! I sold all my books and put them on the kindle; even my two Harper Lee books.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If the device still does not work beyond that, then a REPLACEMENT is the most cost effective solution. In that case- there are no worries, since once you register the new Kindle to your Amazon account your books and content will automatically "Sync" and transfer to the new device.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS).

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None of those things worked. I will go with a replacement device, but I don't know which one--I don't want a refurbished one AND what do I do with the old one once the data is transferred?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

You can choose any replacement Kindle you would like. Simply go to Amazon and browse the various units. I will post a link for that. Also as far as what to do with the old one- you can check with your town hall where you live to see when there is an electronic good disposal day in your area.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

The various Kindle models can be viewed at the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b?ie=UTF8&node=6669702011