Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of E-Readers
32989067

Old kindle: my kindle has been abused by grandchild. Now

Customer Question

Old kindle : my kindle has been abused by grandchild. Now 5-waybutton does not work. Can it be repaired and if not can my books be transferred to my iPad Heather
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: The second model to be produced. about 7 to 8 years ago.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Has been in thissstate for a long time but I could force the button to work by pressing very hard. Now will not budge so don troubleshooting can be tried
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

This can be an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and use the 5-way

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have done that. The 5way button moved in menu to bottom and to top and now I have screen showing archived items but unable to turn wireless on
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

What happens when you try to turn wireless on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No reaction to my pressing the button but cursor will go up and down although no response on those either. Seems button fine except on the press down operation
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Top of the menu. Turn wireless off. No Reaction
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Ok, she did damage it, fixing it is not an option sorry, it is not cost effective so no one offers to do this.

But the books are all safe as these are linked to your account, to use them on the iPad, go on the iPad to the app store and search for the app Kindle

Install it, open it and when it asks you to register it, do this with your amazon account and all your books will be available on there.

On your computer you can access your books via the site

https://read.amazon.com

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you