Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. E-Reader Expert.
23511658

We have been trying to phone but when your voice recorded

Customer Question

We have been trying to phone but when your voice recorded message requests we confirm we are human and no matter how we respond we get disconnected.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Hi Pearl, my kindle is a paperwite The USB charging port appears to be faulty.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been playing up for about a month and a half since I first noticed that I had problem with charging and downloading books but yesterday it wont take a charge. My computer geek of a son and electrical engineer of a husband said it was a "Blonde" problem but apparently it is not!
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is paperwhite enough info or do I need to find the manual and purchase paperwork?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

Who have you been trying to call? Amazon?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question was - I have a Kindle Paperwhite. The charging/dowloading port is no longer working. I am unable to charge the kindle. Is it possible to have the port replaced or do I need to buy a new kindle? Thank you

You can have it fixed or replaced. When did you purchase the Kindle? I can see if it would still be under warranty. But even if it isn't it can be repaired.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The kindle is definitely not under warranty.
Does Kindle have authorised repairers in Australia?
Is having the Kindle fixed going to cost me more than purchasing a new one?
Without pulling the Kindle apart I would imagine that the male charging port would be part of a circuit board of some sort. (On Samsung mobile phones the port is part of a circuit board which is replaceable).
Is this the case with the kindle?
If so can I get a new circuit board?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a lot of "play" in the port. I can get the light to come on sometimes but the Kindle is not charging.

Have you tried a different cable?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Absolutely stunned!! Eight of them actually. both 240 and 12 volt plus a multi function jump starter that can start my 4X4 but not my kindle!
My husband is an electrical engineer who did his electrical apprenticeship specialising in electronics before doing his degree. he deals with telemetry systems and designs pump stations and water treatment plants. My son writes code in linux and other stuff that goes straight over my head. He has servers all over the world and creates software.I have paid $40 (which I will be requesting a refund for) for you to ask me if I have tried another charger.

I'm sorry. I don't understand how your 4x4, telemetry data, and Linux are related to your Kindle. Did I misunderstand your question?

What is the model number of the Kindle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Receipt dated 8/5/2013 states Kindle WIFI Touch Paperwhite

On this model, the USB port is part of the motherboard, which can be replaced. The part is around $30 USD. So, I think whether it would be cost effective will depend on what you can get the part for in AU. Let me get a part number for you.

The part number is ***** REV 09

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. It was going to cost me $120 to have the motherboard for the kindle fixed and $160 for a new one! (I got an early mothers day present).