Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I am not sure which Kobo I have, but it won't turn on, it is

Customer Question

I am not sure which Kobo I have, but it won't turn on, it is charged
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It has come on in the past
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A couple of days, it really is not used that often, don't have any troubleshooting info
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is Kobo Arc 7. I held the power button and it came on then went off again and won't come back on
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com; I am Russell H., an Expert here at JustAnswer.com, and I will do what I can to answer your question as well as it can be answered.

I would advise you to leave it on the charger for at least 4 hours, continuously and without interruption.

Then try turning it On normally, once more.

- If it fails to turn On, it probably needs a new battery, or else needs to be service-repaired, depending upon its age measured from its date of original purchase.

- If it turns On fine, see whether it stays On for a reasonable interval (a half hour at least.) If it does stay On that long, the battery's fine and it just had a temporary problem.

Let me know, what happens, and how old the Kobo is, please, and I will advise you further as appropriate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has already been on charge for 4 hours. I bought it in March 2014 for my husband and it has had limited use.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry, can't call you

That's OK - no need to call me.

So - does it still not power On ?

And it is 2 2/3 years old, with limited usage. That means, it is most likely that the battery is defective - that happens when a device with a rechargeable battery in it is left about for months at a time unused... unless the battery is of one particular type that does not mind such disuse. But in many rechargeables, disuse is even a bit more stressful than abundant and regular charging up and discharging.

So I think the battery in the Kobo has failed. Would you be interested in having it repair-serviced, or even perhaps in replacing the battery yourself?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the cost involved. Can I replace the battery myself and where would I purchase that.I got it to come on shortly after I first called by holding the power button for 10 seconds, there was a screen which told me what model it was but I couldn't get it to do anything else before it went off, cannot get it back on.

Holding down the power button for 10 seconds may actually have caused it to shut Off, or shut down.

But if it won't turn On again, that might not be the battery at all, if you have charged it for at least 2 hours continuously since then. ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't charged it again. Should I put it on charge now?

Yes. Try that, get back to me about it 2 + hours from now, and I will instruct you further and as appropriate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do and thank you

You're welcome.