Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My kindle fire will turn to the kindle fire screen, turn

Customer Question

my kindle fire will turn to the kindle fire screen, turn grey then turn off. I am currently charging it (hooked up to my laptop) while it is charging it keeps going through this cycle. I have holding the power button for 20- 30 seconds to turn it off, but it continues with this cycle. Is there anything else I can do? THanks!
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: would the model number help? I think it is about 2-3 years old. Unsure about the make, all I know is it is a kindle fire
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It started a couple of months ago, I just set it aside. I was about to throw it out, but I thought I would give this a try first
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it. Thanks!
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If the device still does not work beyond that, then please reply back with the Model of the Kindle and also the AGE of the unit- and we can proceed.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is from 2013 it is a kindle fire hdx 7. I have tried all of that numerous times, as this has been this way for months. As I'm holding down the power button it tries to restart at least 3 times and never reboots properly.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately those are the ONLY steps you can try, there aren't any other reboots for this except for running the battery down all of the way (until it shuts down), and then try recharging it from scratch and trying the reboot again. If the Kindle still doesn't fully boot up, then this indicates a failed micro processor in the unit- and there's no fixes for that besides repairs or replacement.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

In that case you could contact the site below if you wanted to have the device repaired (which is typically not cost effective):

http://www.missionrepair.com

Or another option is to purchase a new or refurbished Kindle (refurb Fires are around $80 through Amazon) and when you sync the device to your Amazon account, all of your purchased content will download to the new device.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I googled this and got the same response months ago, I'm a little disgusted that I just wasted $28