Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Several years of occasional experience with aspects of E-Reader technology.
13568747

I have an older kindle with a keyboard. Sometimes while I'm

Customer Question

I have an older kindle with a keyboard. Sometimes while I'm reading it goes into search mode typing a long line of periods in the search window making it difficult to turn the page. I go to the menu and it is locked on the "go to" selection. I put it on some other choice like "highlights" and it goes right back to go to and typing periods. It's been really frustrating. I've tried turning it off and back on again and it eventually goes back to typing periods again. I'm ready to throw it in the trash.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: kindle version 3.4.2
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: For months now and I've just tried turning it off and on again.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a way to reset it?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Generally a Kindle can be reset by holding down the power button (or sliding power switch being held in the 'active' position) for at least 20 or 30 seconds.

This tends to (speaking generally about 'all' Kindle models) wipe all data of yours from the Kindle, and leave it a blank slate in factory-released condition. Notes and annotations of yours on the device would be lost unless you copied them off elsewhere first. Books would all be erased and you would have to download fresh copies from the site e.g. Amazon.com where you bought them.

As for the problem. You almost certainly have one key on the keyboard that is sticking, and/or has a defective key-switch, and/or has gotten dirt into it. Crumbs, fine salty and/or oily crumbs, that have gotten into a keyboard or a keyswitch, are particularly baneful and damaging. Just cleaning cannot always cure the problem and the keyswitch or the whole keyboard (as a matter of economies, preferable in terms or labor cost) usually has to be replaced.

Let me know if you need to know more... by the way: A reset will NOT cure the problem, if it is indeed a defective or dirtied keyswitch, or a defective keyboard. And it might have some perils, with an older Kindle. It might even become inoperative with internet connections, for subtle reasons, after a full reset.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.