Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader Technician
62741268

My kobo ereader auro H2O is not charging. When I plug it

Customer Question

my kobo ereader auro H2O is not charging. When I plug it into my computer a message states it is using too much power and will be shut down. I use my ereader all the time and am very upset.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Aura h2o
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ifor a week. It did charge a bit but only 4%, i tried different cords, tried putting it directly in a power bar and tried with both my big Mac and my laptop. When I use the computers the message says it is drawing too much power and needs to be shut off. I bought the Kobo one year ago from Chapters and do not have the receipt.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no,
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 7 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Try a basic reset first, then check for normal operation. If the problem persist try a factory reset next>

Performing a basic reset

A basic reset will force your eReader to restart properly. In many cases, this is enough to restore your eReader to normal.

1. If possible, turn off your eReader.
  2. Locate the small hole on the bottom of your eReader. Remove the port cover, and locate the small pinhole on the bottom of your eReader.
  3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
  4. Press gently until you feel a click. Your eReader should restart.

Performing a factory reset

If a basic reset doesn't work, you can perform a factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a factory reset, you’ll have to set up and sync your eReader again.

If you perform a factory reset on your eReader, you'll:

• Remove all books from your eReader. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
  • Lose any bookmarks and annotations you made in your books since you last synced your eReader.
  • Sign out of your account on your eReader.
  • Reset all of your settings and preferences.
  • Return your eReader to its original settings.
  1. If possible, back up any books or documents that you added to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions, or that you manually added using your computer. You do not need to back up any books you bought from Kobo. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
  2. Go to your Home screen.
  3. Tap the Menu icon at the top of the screen.
    The Quick Settings panel will appear.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Tap Device information.
  6. Tap Factory Reset under Advanced.
  7. Tap Reset Now.

Performing a manual factory reset

If a basic reset and a factory reset don't work, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours.

1. While your eReader is on, remove the port cover on the bottom of your eReader. If possible, turn off your eReader.
    Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try pressing and holding the power button until you see Powered off on your screen.
  2. Insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
    You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.
  3. When you see square icons on the screen, insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
  4. Repeat step 3 two more times.
    Your eReader's screen will turn black, and show a Critical error message. Don't worry, this is normal.
  5. Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.

Setting up your eReader after a factory reset

After you've performed a factory reset on your eReader, you'll need to set it up again.

1. Set up your eReader using Wi Fi or Kobo Desktop.
  2. Sync your library to restore any Kobo books you own.
  3. Reconfigure any settings you changed.
  4. Add any books or documents you previously added using Adobe Digital Editions, a Micro SD card, or drag-and-drop on your computer.

Did that work for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No kobo gave me a free replacement
I am glad to hear that!