Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

My kindle fire will not charge. I have the approved charger.

Customer Question

Hi, my kindle fire will not charge. I have the approved charger. It does not shut off properly and the orange charge light no longer comes on. Can you help6/
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: i received this as a gift in 2013. I believe it is the 1st generation.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: this has been going on and off for a few week s, but it always recharged, eventually . 2 days ago it just stopped recharging.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you, ***** ***** all.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** 'm sorry that you're having this problem. I'll do my best to help. This is often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

If it was not successful (it didn't require you to set it up again), you may be able to a factory reset from www.amazon.com/myk. Go to My Account > Manage you content and Devices and click on the device tab. If it is available, you'll see REMOTE FACTORY RESET as an option in the drop down menu under DEVICE ACTIONS. Please note: The Fire’s battery needs to be charged to at least 30% and it must be connected to a Wi-Fi network. If this doesn't work, or of the option is not available for your Kindle, please let me know.

I am a bit concerned that it is an ongoing issue. It could potentially be a problem with the charger if the reset doesn't work. Please give these suggestions a try, let me know the results, and we will go from there.