Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

My fourth Kindle has just died! I have had it charged for 2

Customer Question

My fourth Kindle has just died! I have had it charged for 2 days on different chargers and it is still not turning on. I think it is gone. Any thoughts on bringing it back to life.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: well it won't turn on after charging for 2 days!!
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: I have a Kindle fire. This is my 4th Kindle.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: once before about 6 months ago it was doing same thing and techs help me get it started. Have been holding the on button for 40+ seconds but no avail.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is a Kindle fire. Not an ereader.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** see that you've been waiting a bit for an answer. I'm sorry about that. I will do my best to help. This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle (if it s connected) and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If it still doesn't charge, let me know as there are other troubleshooting steps that we can take.