Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

When I swipe to unlock my kindle it will not unlock. If it

Customer Question

Hello, when I swipe to unlock my kindle it will not unlock. If it does every once in awhile it then freezes & does nothing.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's about 3 years old - believe it's a fifth generation. I'd have to look for my original paperwork.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It started two days ago. Only trouble shooting I've been able to do is to hold the start button down for different lengths of time. The green light comes on to expose the "slide to unlock" & then it freezes on that screen.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: About a year or so ago I could not get it to connect to the WiFi but I was able to rectify that & it has been operating fine until this current problem
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?