Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

Pearl. I have received an refurbished kindle fire 7 from

Customer Question

Hello, Pearl. I have received an refurbished kindle fire 7 from Amazon. Idid not receive a manual with instructions. I have tried different sites for support. I am a beginner at the age of 73 years. I can't access my tablet because of a password. I do not know wat that is.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: How do I set a password, to start?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kindle Fire from amazon. I do not know the age but is the $49.95 model.With a 7 in screen.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just started . I do not know how to start up with out a password. I am afraid I may have done something ta I should not have.I just cant even get settings to work without a password. How to I eneter a new password?th
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I am a computer dummy. Thanks.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

You actually aren't missing anything, there is no manual. These devices do not come with a printed manual.

There is a built in on-screen help guide in the kindle however.

There are a few things here - first you must connect the kindle to your home wifi network. So you need to know your network name and password.
Next you'll be prompted to register the kindle to your amazon account, which is your email address and amazon password.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already regisitered it ,I believe, I got it on Oct 29. It is a refurb. It seems to be working fine. I just do not know the details of operation. I probably need to start all over again with the setup.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't afford the $20 at this time as I am a disabled senior.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If it is set up you don't need to change anything,

what exactly are you seeing on the password ***** you were referring to?

You are seeing automated call offers which you may ignore if not wanted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I go to settings Ige t Set Lock-screen pin (required)
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

But you have never set a pin?

Is it stuck on this page and won't exit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I assume that what ever I did was wrong. This page is a far as can get.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I probably enter my internet password ***** made an error.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

No a pin is different, it is a security/lock pin and not part of the internet or amazon password.

Lets try a quick reboot first - press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, it may take a minute or 2 to come back on after, then let me know if the pin comes back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am waiting for the restart.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wii it come back without my starting it.again?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If it doesn't after about a minute, just press the power button once

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is loading
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is on the start page
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Desktop
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay now go ahead and try to open a book, the kindle store, etc

Basically just use the kindle as you normally would, and see if that password ***** comes up

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to att547 and ot the same message as before
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

That sounds like your wifi network, if that is already set up you don't need to go to it again, it should connect on its own.

If you didn't set up the wifi before, you do need to do that now, and you need to put in your wifi password

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to ATT547 and the settings and got the same Pin request
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At different times
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it is asking for the pin number (perhaps the WPS pin) for your wifi network.
Do you see something there that lets you move past the Pin and enter a password *****? In either case you must know and enter your wifi login info.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it tells me that after setting a lock-screen PIN or password ***** can remove it from settings. It mentioned child profiles.??????
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not need security. I live alone and I am the only person who accesses my pc and tablet.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay you are in the wrong spot.

This is a lock screen pin, meaning it is something you can use to secure it so others can't use it. That is entirely optional, simply don't set a pin, just move on from that screen (next, or cancel) without entering a pin. That is all you have to do.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

For your reference, you can get a copy of the kindle userguide here: http://amzn.to/2eCQwcB

Or you may even want to buy a "kindle for dummies" type help book here: http://amzn.to/2frXHWm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It wants me to sign into my amazon account It has my Name Myron and wants a pssword. This is where I ran into trouble before.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

That is your amazon account password

you do have to sign in (even though it is already registered from when you purchased it from amazon) to confirm your account.
This is just your amazon password. Do you know what that is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to enter my email name and my password ***** the spaces?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did and it says unable to verify.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If it is asking only for a password, that is all you need.
If it is asking for your complete account, that is your complete email address AND then your password ***** the password *****
Both must be entered perfectly, any capital letters or numbers correct, etc or it will not accept it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It will not allow me to enter my internet name. It just has my first name in the space. I go by***@******.*** with my password ***** normal internet access.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Please tell me everything exactly as you see it on the kindle screen.
It sounds like you are confusing 2 entirely different items, network and registration

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has myron then wants my amazon password. Do I need to check with amazon to get the password ***** of taking up your time? I TRIED AMAZON.COM BEFORE CONTACTING YOU.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for my typing errors.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Neither I nor amazon nor anyone else can tell you what your password ***** if you do not know it, you have to reset it to something new,

you can do that here:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please help me do that if you can. I am lost.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to wait for a code. Shall I wait of discontinue our session
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If all you needed was the password, we can end. You can still follow up with me later if needed though.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,