Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I've had my Kindle for years but all of a sudden it doesn't

Customer Question

I've had my Kindle for years but all of a sudden it doesn't recognize me or permit me to buy books for my Kindle. It is very frustrating. I've had books charged to my Amex card and now it can't find it and won't let me re-sign up my Amex card. I'm about ready to throw this Kindle in the trash.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I don't know. I did just load in some new software updates -- but it is probable 4-5 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried to get to the Kindle through my desktop -- but it wouldn't let me. I tried going to shop on-line through the Kindle but I'm told I have to set-up my credit card. When I try to do that it asks for a password ***** I don't remember. I've typed in my email address and then the 'code' they send and checked my email but I haven't gotten a password ***** message at all in 4 tries.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The desk top also says that I've already purchased the book I want but it doesn't appear on my Kindle or on my desktop -- where is it?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and access your books.

Let me know the results please

Thank you