Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of E-Readers
32989067

When I switch on my Kindle screen, only half of it comes up

Customer Question

When I switch on my Kindle screen, only half of it comes up with text, the other half is blank. What does this mean and how can I fix it?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished. This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please. Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds. Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and use it. Let me know the results please Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that to no avail. Could it be that the screen is broken from being dropped by any chance?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the screen then that has faulted, if it has been dropped it is a very likely cause, but it can also just occur with the Kindle,.You will need to replace the Kindle (they do not repair this as its not worth the value).But all your books will be safe, as when you receive a new Kindle and register it, all your books will be made available again.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is just a Kindle fault I should not need to replace it! What else can I do to retrieve the bottom half of my screen ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If the Kindles warranty is still valid and you did not actually drop it then it would be replaced under warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there no other way of retrieving the lower half of my screen than by replacing the Kindle, this is a very expensive cure, and may not be necessary. What else can I try?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they do not repair this as the cost of parts and labor exceeds the value of the Kindle sorry.