E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Kindle 5th generation 5 position switch -- frozen on tree…

Customer Question
Kindle 5th generation 5...

Kindle 5th generation 5 position switch -- frozen on tree page with bar one third across. charged for 3 hours, still no green light. Pressed home button then on switch for 60 seconds and left for 10 minutes. Still frozen on the bar and tree. Battery should be fully charged.

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Hi Rob, sorry name is***** daughter tried a reset on the 5th generation Kindle and it hung with the boy and tree and the bar one third across. I first tried 60 second power switch press and it did not reboot. The charged it for 3 hours assuming that my daughter had reset with a low battery. Then pressed on button 60 seconds again but nothing happened. Apart from the ***** *****ght coming on when power is plugged in or into computer the screen is completely unresponsive and just displays the boy, tree and bar one third across with no changes, flickering or green light.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: E-Readers
1/30/2016
Electronics Technician: Randy Boman, Technician replied 2 years ago
Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician

Remove any cover that is on the kindle, then locate the power switch on the side, then Plug the Kindle into the charger for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes and while still plugged in, slide and hold the switch for one minute. Allow 3 minutes afterward for the Kindle to reboot. If this doesn't correct the problem, let me know the approximate purchase date of your Kindle.

Unfortunately despite a number of tries and leaving it on charge for a couple of days the problem is not resolved. I am unable to trace the date the Kindle was bought as my Amazon record only goes back a year or so. Have you any other thinks I could try. The screen remains frozen and the charging light is stil amber and not green. The on off switch is not the slider type.Ian Kirkland

you can try holding the power button in for 60 seconds then try charging for 5 minutes, repeat he process a few times. Also try connecting to a computer and press and hold the power button while connecting and reconnecting the usb cable to the computer.(insert the usb and remove it a few times while holding the power button on the kindle)