Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a problem with a Kobo ereader. I was attempting to

Customer Question

I have a problem with a Kobo ereader. I was attempting to transfer a dowloaded ebook from my PC. The PC was not showing the Kobo in "my computer" so I thought it wsa not plugged in and pulled the plug. The Kobo displayed "Restoring" for some time. I now have white screen and no response to the on button. Tried the method listed at the web page. No action :-( Can you help? Ian.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

The software on the Kobo may have gotten corrupted when it was suddenly disconnected.

Try resetting it by pressing and holding the power button for at least 20 seconds.

Then try turning it on again.

Let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
Tried that. Held the reset for 30 seconds. The screen did seem to flash once. Tried turning it on - but nothing happening :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW - I am in Australia. So time zone challenges to add to the mix...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter
Can you let me know when you might get back to me with any more advice? I did make my query urgent as I am flying out of Australia tonight (so in about 12 hours from now).
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

If you haven't already done so, can you ensure that the Kobo is at least 50% charged, then try this reset method again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It is close to full charge. I left it on all night to charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Orange light is flashing. And I have tried reset as you suggest. Nothing happens ..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Approximately how old is the Kobo device?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than 12 months. It is a Kobo aura
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you take the back off and press the button above the battery to reset it.

Then try turning it on again...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see how to take the back off. so maybe it is more than 12 months old (even thought it was bought less than 12 months ago)? It has the small reset hole on the edge where the micro usb plugs in. I have tried the reset-with-a-paper-clip - inlcuding holding down for 20 seconds. no joy with that.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, your model has the reset button on the edge...

Since holding the reset button in did not help either, it is very likely that the Kobo has a hardware fault and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so that seems like the end of the line with this.
How does the process of payment take place? How much am I charged for this advice?
Ian.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

I am not sure how much you chose to pay when you asked your question - I am only a user of this site, and not privy to your account information.
I receive a portion of your payment when you rate my service highly.
Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
My issue here is that your advice - other than telling me that the device is probably dead - did not add anything new to what I described already having done to attempt to fix the problem. This is something I'll need to take up with the site owners.Ian.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news on this occasion.

I could request a 50% reduction in the question price if that was agreeable for you?

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, let's do that. Seems a reasonable compromise.
What do I need to do now to effect that?Ian.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

hi Ian,

I will send the request to customer services and they can approve it.

Once amended, you can then submit my service rating.

Thanks,

Pete.