Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

Ready to throw away this book. Got it two years agai and it

Customer Question

Ready to throw away this book. Got it two years agai and it doesn't respond to the touch screen 80% of the time. Is there a place to have it checked?
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No answer in 10 minutes. Can't edit my typos in the question. Nook is not worth the money
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Sorry for any delay in getting you an answer, however as your initial question was a bit unclear, it was difficult for us to respond to.

Thank you for the new information.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the nook. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 30+ seconds, then release. Give the nook about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rebooting after two years of attempted trial and error? No. The screen doesn't not respond to touch. Is there a place to have it checked? It is a faulty nook, or junk.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

In many cases, what appear to be hardware problems can come down to a firmware glitch, which is why I suggested the reboot, at least as a first step.

If that does not help, then the "digitizer" which is the component under the screen that senses touch, is faulty, and would need to be replaced.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It can be fixed, but is often not worthwhile to do so, as repair costs can be about as much as a new one.

Which model is it?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

If it is one of the nook hd color models, it may be worth fixing. On average the part is about $50. If you are comfortable cracking the case open and are handy with electronics, you can replace it yourself. If not, a local cell phone or laptop repair shop will do it for about $50 more. You can see at that point where if you're $100 into it, you're better off buying a brand new nook (or perhaps a Kindle instead, which is better built and better supported) for the same price and getting a fresh warranty to boot.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I can help you with finding a repair shop, or ordering the parts, or recommending a replacement model for you, if you prefer.

There is no local place to take it to have it looked at in terms of barnes/noble stores though. Most stores are out of business now, and even the few that remain won't actually work on any of the hardware. They'd simply tell you that if the 1 year warranty is up that they can't help and that you'll have to buy a new one.

How would you like to proceed from here?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to know if there is a place to have it checked. It has been rebooted several times in two years. You have confirmed the Nook is junk.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

If you'll give me your zip code, I can help you find a local service shop.

Most places charge a diagnostic fee though, so even if you don't proceed to repair, you'll be out money just to have it looked at.

So keep that in mind when making your decision. Replacement may make more sense in the end.

I'd advise replacing it with a kindle instead: http://amzn.to/1MKnaom

The hardware is more reliable, they are much better supported, and there is much more content available for them.

If you get a kindle fire, you can even still use your old nook books on it.