E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

My kindle fire 8.9 HD wont respond to touch. I tried rebooting

Customer Question
and restarting. It turns on...
My kindle fire 8.9 HD wont respond to touch. I tried rebooting and restarting. It turns on and off, but won't respond to touch.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: E-Readers
6/11/2015
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.
The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.
Note: I realize you've tried something similar before, but please repeat the process. Timing is critical, less than 20 full seconds won't work, and it often takes 4-5 tries for the reset to take effect.
Let me know the results,

I don't get a tree....that's usually the kindle reader image. But it turns on n off with no change

Either the tree or one of the pushed advertisements, either can indicate it is booting again. If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

okay I will try that 2 morrow unfortunately I am headed to work 7 p_m to 7 a_m so you won't hear back from me before tomorrow afternoon keep your fingers crossed

No problem at all, take your time. Just bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me when ready.I'd go ahead and plug in the usb connection now to let it sit and have a chance to fully charge overnight. Nathan

can't I'm already halfway to work does it make a difference whether this is a fire or not from your description of the tree it makes me think of what my Kindle reader does but this is the 8.9 inch HD fire no big just making sure we're clear

Makes no difference either way whether eink or fire/color. The same reboot process applies and the usb connection simply prompts it to fully reload the internal firmware rather than just a hard reboot

i charged it overnight - the 20 second reboot has done nothing. I it many times. I just did the 60 second reboot... it did nothing

Thanks for trying. That was with it connected to the computer still via the usb, correct?If not, please try it that way. If still no change, then the internal firmware is corrupted. There is nothing further that you can do yourself at the user level, it would have to go back to amazon for repair/replacement. In that event, your best recourse will be to contact Amazon kindle service directly, at 866\321\8851. Even if past the warranty, Amazon usually has very good customer service, and will often offer a credit/trade in toward a new or refurbished kindle model.When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

amazon will not help me b/c its over a year out of warranty. They offered me a "deal" on a new kindle for 360$... !!!! More than I paid for this. I can't afford it.

Originally the screen was cracked but responding to touch. So I ordered a new lcd/digitizer assembly. Now the picture looks perfect - but no touch response. I am going to open it up again and make sure the flex cables are seated properly. Any ideas after that?

That is unfortunate, they are usually better about that. I bet if you called back and got another person or asked to talk with a supervisor, you'd get a different deal. If you'd be ok with a slightly smaller screen, you can get the hdx which is 199 full price and the hd7 is only 99, and I'd expect them to give you a discount still off of either.I wasn't aware of any of the previous issues you mentioned, which could all be contributing to the current issue. If the screen was cracked there is easily the possibility of some further internal damage meaning a cracked board, bad solder joints inside, etc that may not even be visible. You can certainly check those little ribbon cables. You might want to put the old screen back in to test also, as you may have got a bad digitizer on the new one.

I agree that they are usually better. I've always LOVED amazon...been a prime member for 9 years. Ive called 5 different times. NO budge. Im considering never buying another fire. No further damage. It was only a one line crack - everything still worked perfectly... I tried re attaching the old one - it still works! Is there any change you have a photo of how to attach the flex cables up close so I can make sure Im not missing something stupid??? Im SO freaking frustrated with this.

Well I don't think you're missing anything, if you've done it with the old one, it is exactly the same as the new one. It sounds like your replacement part is faulty. Have you tried contacting the seller about exchanging it for you?

Yes I have to send it back and they will send me a new one - which is super frustrating. It has to be the digitizer

That is really the only thing that makes sense at this point. I'm sorry I didn't know sooner that you were having hardware issues or I would have mentioned that earlier.

I'm awaiting a new part. I will text u when it comes. I put the old one in....touch works again.

Thank you for the update, I hope the new one works better for you.
Nathan, Technician