Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Kindle is frozen on startup screen - wont let me swipe

Customer Question

Hi my Kindle is frozen on startup screen - wont let me swipe across to put my pin number in
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 25 seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.
If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.
This clears up the issues you're having 90% of the times, but in the rare case that it does not, the problem may go deeper than a software issue. If this is the case, please reply back with the specific model number off of the back of the Kindle, and also how long you've had the Kindle for, and I will continue to assist you.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still can't get the Kindle to work for me...and I've already been charged ? $5 deposit then $32 and $42 for second question..
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry you're still having problems. Can you please tell me the model of the Kindle, and also how long you've owned it for?
Regarding billing, I am not privy to that as I'm an independent tech. You would need to contact customer service via the home page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had this Kindle (Fire) for about 2 years - on the back of the Kindle just has "Amazon".....
as I said before - tried what you suggested now it has a yellow outline whatever I press and I need to tap quite a few times before it works can get in the main menu but stops short of working any further
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Kindle Fire thank you. Those steps above, unfortunately are the only things you can try on a user level to correct this. I would suggest trying them again, exactly as outlined several times in the hopes to get the unit to folly reboot back to normal operating condition, since if it does not work- then this requires repairs made to the Kindle which are not covered by Amazon. If you still have the same issue, then you would need to either have the unit repaired at a 3rd party service like Mission Repair (below): http://www.missionrepair.com/Kindle_Repair_Amazon_Kindle_Repair_s/476.htm Or the other option is to purchase a new Kindle and then transfer all of your previously downloaded books onto the new device. The books are stored in your Amazon account, so they do not need to be purchased again. If you need further assistance let me know. NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?