E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

My kindle fire is not holding a charge

Customer Question
My kindle fire is not holding a charge
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: E-Readers
11/14/2012
Electronics Technician: Cris, Technician replied 5 years ago
Cris
Cris, Technician

ITCris :

Hi

ITCris :

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris.

ITCris :

Is your Kindle currently off and not turning on?

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

Hi Chris,

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

I can get it on for a few minutes if I charge it all night . It will just stay on for maybe half hour tops

ITCris :

OK, which model do you have?

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

would it tell me somewhere on the device?

ITCris :

Is it a Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

kindle fire

ITCris :

OK, on the fire the battery is not removable. It could be a faulty battery on the device.

Let's try a quick power reset. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, then allow up to 3 minutes for the software to load.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok when i first hit power button it said battery too low. I still held power button dwn for 20 seconds ..I plugged it back in and it now says wait 15 minutes before turning on again

ITCris :

OK, allow the Kindle to charge for 5 minutes. Then after 5 minutes while still plugged in, press and hold the power button for 1 minute.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok do I stay on with you? I will wait 5 min then press and hold power button

ITCris :

yes

ITCris :

I will be here on standby.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok thanks

ITCris :

no problem.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok i charged for 5 min and still got message battery too low, then while plugged in i held down power button for a minute ... still getting same message

ITCris :

OK, let's give it a little more time on the charger.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok

ITCris :

How are you making out? Have you tried to hold the power button again?

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

It looks now as if it is not holding a charged plugged in. It still says battery too low.

ITCris :

OK, leave it on the charger for about a hour to completely charge the battery.

ITCris :

It appears that the software was glitched and not charging.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

I have done that .. I have left it for a whole day charging then when I return it works for a really short time then goes back to saying battery too low. Are you suggesting trying to charge for an hour then holding the power button for a solid minute?

ITCris :

Not that it is charging let it charge for a hour to completely charge the battery. Then yes you can try another power reset.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok

ITCris :

I will be signing off shortly. You can always get back to me on the outcome.

ITCris :

You can save this page to your favorites or come back to justanswer.com enter your email you registered account with. Once your signed in click on my questions top right to get back here and send me a message. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

ok so aftter trying to charge all night it appears still not holding charge.

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

Is there somewhere I can send device to be serviced?

JACUSTOMER-8s56z01q- :

Chris.....

OK,

It appears you have a faulty battery. Every Kindle device comes with a 1 year warranty provided by Kindle.

Contact Kindle Support at 866-321-8851. If your device is under warranty it will be replaced at no cost. Even if it is not Amazon may still replace for free. They will ship a replacement out to you. When you receive it, register it to your Kindle account and you will have immediate access to your books in your archives.

Your other options in the mean time are to read your books on other devices using free applications for iPad, iPhone, iTouch, Blackberry, PC, or Mac.

Please reply back to me with any further questions you may have. BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups!
Cris
Cris
Cris, Technician