E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

Kindle cannot connect to server (unable to open connection to SMTP server)

My Kindle says that it...

My Kindle says that it cannot connect to server (unable to open connection to SMTP server) Can receive email but cannot send email.

I have tried to change the port no. and have uninstalled my Kindle and tried to reinstall it. I changed from one HP computer to a new one with Windows 7 before all this happened. And had to reinstall the MyQwest internet program to the new one. I'm not experienced doing those things and probably goofed.

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2012
Nick821702
Nick821702, eReaders Support

Hi and welcome,

Which Kindle model do you have? Fire, Touch, Keyboard or other?

You can receive email but cannot send? What is your email address ends with (after the @, like gmail.com, yahoo.com, quest.net, etc...)?

Have Kindle Fire @q.com

Thanks.

On your Kindle Fire, go to Email app. Under your email account, tap Menu button and select Settings. You will see Outgoing server. Tap it and please type out all the details on Outgoing Server Settings screen.

Thank you!

smpt.centurylink

ssl (always)

587

automatic

*****@******.***

grgrandma

Thanks.

For SMTP Server, please change it to smtp.centurylink.net

Then hit Next and Save the settings. When done, please try to send or reply an email.

Now it says Email provider Certificate Issue

We were unable to verify the provider's certificate. Would you like to accept the certificate or decline and try again.

When I hit accept is does nothing but go back to the same message.

Hit reject and it goes back to the outgoing settings page.

Please change the SSL to NONE. Test it again.

Thank you!

Says: setup could not finish

Cannot connect to server.

(unable to open connection to Smtp server.)

Would switching my internet account from XP to windows 7 have any bearing? Also when I setup original account it was MyQwest and when I transferred to this computer it ended up CenturyLink.com.

Please change 587 to 25. Test it again. If not working, change to 80.

Switching from XP to Windows 7 does not effect your email account. And Quest was acquired from CenturyLink. That is why you see CenturyLink.com now.

Still says same thing Setup could not finish.

Thanks.

Please change it back to 587 and NONE for security method. Test it.

If not working, you might want to remove this account. Then set it up again.

It did not work.

Thanks.

Did you remove the account and set it up again?

On your computer, can you receive and send emails?

I've been able to receive emails on the computor. I just sent an email to my daughter but probably won't get a reply for a day or two. Apparently according to my email i sent one email. That must be the one to my daughter. It didn't say if it reached her email or not.

I did not remove the account and set it up again. I'm not sure how to do it and I have a bad headache right now and have other things I need to get done tonight.

To remove the email account:

Go to Email app.
Tap Menu button and select Accounts.
Tap and HOLD your email account on the list and select Remove account.

To add your email account:

Go to Email app.
Tap Menu button and select Add Account.
Tap Other.
Enter your FULL email address and password.
Tap Next.
If you are asked to enter server settings, enter the following info:

Username: complete email address
pop.centurylink.net
port 110
no encryption
Outgoing Server
smtp.centurylink.net
port 587 TLS (SSL if available)
requires authentication, use same settings as my incoming mail server

Nick821702
Nick821702, eReaders Support

On incoming POP server switched to mail.q.com

security type -SSL(if available

Authentication type-Plain and the Port automatically changed to 995

What do you mean by no incryption? When I put in what you emailed it said: user name or password ***** server name incorrect.

On outgoing: I entered smtp.centurylink.net

Security TLS (if available) also tried TLS always, SSL( if available) and SSL (always) Set up couldn't finish on any of them.

Authenticated Login failed.(535 sorry)

Tried them all. Same thing! And what do you mean by 'requires authentication, use same settings as my incoming email server'? I tried every combination I could. nothing worked.

Thanks
please enter incoming settings. Server: mail.q.com port 110. None for security.
Outgoing: smtp.q.com 587 TLS for security.
Nick821702
Nick821702
Nick821702, eReaders Support