E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

We have a 2WIRE Router that came from ATT when we signed up…

Customer Question
We have a 2WIRE Router...
We have a 2WIRE Router that came from ATT when we signed up for UVERSE We have just purchased a nook from Barnes and Noble. I will not link to the Router [seen as 2WIRE822] The nook sees it with a good signal and is asking for the password. When I enter the password XXXXX links up momentarily and then disconnects. Just keeps cycling over and over. What do I have to do? Thank You, XXXXX [email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: E-Readers
2/25/2012
Electronics Technician: Engineer John C., E-Readers Expert replied 6 years ago
Engineer John C., E-Readers Expert
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Computer Networks, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Then it seems you are entering the wrong password.

Please check the default password XXXXX the back or bottom of the 2Wire router, it should be located next to "KEY", "WEP KEY" or "WPA KEY".

Please try that password. Also, please remember that the password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green Accept button below

Thank you very much!

John C.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have checked the password XXXXX least 3 times to make sure that I had it correct. The NOOK Tablet came back with the comment:
1. Turn OFF MAC filtering on the router.
2. or Add the NOOK MAC Address to somewhere?
I would not know how to do either one of these.
Do I have to contact ATT since they installed the router?
This simply can't be a big problem. I just don't know how to solve it.
Thank you, XXXXX
Electronics Technician: Viet - E-reader Tech, Technician replied 6 years ago
Viet - E-reader Tech

Can you log in the router and change the security type to WPA2/WPA?

Thank you.
Simple answer is NO. I do not know how to do that. I could learn?
Or can that be done by someone from a remote location?
I have the MAC address of the router.
Please go to http://gateway.2wire.net, (if it asks for the password, then check the system password XXXXX the bottom/back of the router), then look for the network / wireless / security option to confirm your wireless network name (SSID) and the wireless password XXXXX network key. If that does not work, there, make sure the security type is set to WPA2/WPA... if available, and save, and check. If needed, set the security to none/disabled , then save, and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Did as you suggested and found:
SSID Name 2WIRE822
Status Active
SSID Broadcast Enabled
Security WEP-Shared

Are you suggesting I erase 'WEP-Shared' and replace with 'WPA2/WPA ???

Yes, that's correct. Thank you.
How do I change it? I can't just erase it. Or can I? How?
Can you click on it? Can you look around for the security option, etc.? Just check all options/sub-options. Thanks.
Found it.
Have the following choices:
WEP-OPEN
WEP-SHARED
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
Great. Please try WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES), then enter a new passphrase/key, then save and check.

If it does not work, try the None/Open/Disable, then save, and check.

If needed, look for the wireless signal/type option and set it to G-only or N-only (or G/N...) and save, and check.

Thank you.
I made the change you suggested and changed the password.
The NOOK linked to the net on the first try. Thank you.
Great. You're welcome. If you have any computer/electronic question/issue in the future, you can get me directly at the website:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-itstuff/

Please click on Accept if I have been helpful and please leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Viet - E-reader Tech
My problem has been solved. What more can I say. You guys did it for me.
Thank you.
That's it. Thank you very much.