E-Readers

Ask an E-Readers Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

E-Readers

My kindle face has a diagram of some kind which obscures the

pages. I can not get...
My kindle face has a diagram of some kind which obscures the pages. I can not get anything which I can read
11/3/2010
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Which Kindle model do you own?

Regards,
I believe it is the first kindle model Model #D00701
Ok, thanks for the response. You have the Kindle 2.

I'd like you to ensure your Kindle is fully charged (green light). Please do this before proceeding.

Once you get the green charge light, unplug it from the charger and hold the power switch in the "on" position for 20 seconds... then release. Now be patient and watch it for a minute... the screen should flicker/flash a few times, and it should reboot. It might take a minute or so, but after the reboot process you should be good to go.

Otherwise, let me know.

-Dan
t will take a while to fully charge. How can I reach you when I have fully charged the device and Have tried your suggestion.
I'll make sure your question remains open. Just return here and post the results of the reset.

-Dan
I did exactly what you recommended but the obscuring diagram is still there
Ok. Thanks for trying.

Now, I'd like you to plug your Kindle into your computer's USB port via USB cable. Then, open My Computer (for Windows) or Finder (for Mac)... look for your Kindle as a USB mass storage device... almost like a thumb drive.

Can you find your Kindle?

-Dan
Yes, under devices in the finder window.
What is next?

Next is to let it sit for a bit... 30 minutes is usually adequate. Sometimes the communication process between the Kindle and your Mac will clear up any software protocol issues. After the 30 minutes, unplug it and try the reset procedure again (holding the power button, etc... as listed above).

If, however... the charging process didn't fix things, and the same is true for the reset, the USB plug-in procedure, and the additional reset... I'm afraid you have a hardware malfunction that will need to be examined by the Kindle repair facility.

If this is the case, you'll need to call the Amazon folks at(NNN) NNN-NNNN They'll give you a return merchandise authorization and you'll proceed from there. Though often times in lieu of repair, they'll just offer you a big discount on a new model. Might be worth looking into.

Let me know if you need anything else.

-Dan

Frankly, I don't think the answer is worth $3o since I had to return the kindle for replacement and your tech could not correct the problem. I think a fair price is $20 .for about 45 minutes of correspondence without a fix.

I'm sorry you aren't satisfied with my answer. However, please understand it is the most accurate and technically valid information available for your particular situation. Your Kindle needs to be examined at the repair facility.

If you'd like to change your deposit to $20, feel free to call the customer support folks at(NNN) NNN-NNNN They'll take care of you.

When it comes time to leave feedback about our session (after you click "Accept" on my answer)... I would appreciate positive feedback, since I did everything I could to assist you. There are only so many steps the user can perform... sometimes the unit just has to be sent in. The feedback system here is a reflection of the expert, not of the malfunction or the equipment. So if you feel I was professional and tried my best to help, I sure would appreciate positive feedback.

If you feel negative feedback would be more appropriate, I would certainly appreciate you letting me know before hand so I can make right whatever I have done.

-Dan

Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Dan T.
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician