Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I'm trying to understand a drug test result for a family

I'm trying to understand a drug test result for a family member. I need to know if the current level of Propofol in her urine is consistent with someone who hasn't used propofol in a few weeks or if she is clearly still using.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Have you discussed the drug test with a doctor?
Customer: no
JA: Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello -

They don't generally test for propofol in urine.

Why did they specifically test for this drug?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By request, she's been abusing it and is in treatment now. She gave the results to us to show her progress, but I have no idea what this level means. It says she has 2300ng/ml in her urine. What does that level indicate? Does that look like someone who is still using or would that be consistent with someone who has been clean for a few weeks?

And are they testing for propofol?

Or propofol glucuronide?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
propofol glucuronide

OK, thanks.

The metabolite, propofol glucuronide can be detected for several weeks after use.

So the only way to know if this is recent use or not -- is to compare her level to a drug level from a previous test. Obviously -- if this 2300 is higher than a previous test -- she is still using.

But this level could be from use from a few weeks ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, that's what I needed to know. My hunch was that she was still using, but this is the only test we have, so nothing to compare it to.

In a few weeks -- a repeat test will help you to get the answer. The next test should show a significantly lower number (probably by a factor of 10 every 3-4 weeks).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good to know thank you, ***** ***** be useful