Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a drug urine drug test. It was sent to the lab. And

Customer Question

Hello I took a drug urine drug test. It was sent to the lab. And it said my creatine level was too low. So, I was told it was positive.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Have you been using any medication since the drug test? How severe are any complications?
Customer: No
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The substance that is measured is actually creatinine, not creatine. They are similar, but different. Creatine is a nutritional substance, while creatinine is a breakdown product of muscle. Creatine is ultimately metabolized into creatinine, but it goes through many steps of metabolism in the muscle. Creatinine is measured in the urine because it is a reflection of the amount of hydration, and a low creatinine means that the urine is very dilute. The reason that this is measured is because some people that use drugs try to fake the test by drinking excessive amounts of fluid to dilute the urine. However, it can also be low simply because someone is drinking fluids for other reasons. For example, some people drink a significant amount of coffee, and between the volume of fluid and the diuretic effect of the caffeine, it can cause a low level of creatinine.

Did you have a specific question about this urine test result?

I have not heard whether there is any specific question about this result.

I should also note, though, that in most cases, it is the discretion of the person/organization doing the test how they respond to such a result. Some may consider it a positive, and they will take action accordingly. Some will allow the person to take the test again. The person/organization would typically inform you of the next steps.