Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to fail a drug test for heroin but be

Customer Question
Is it possible to...

Is it possible to fail a drug test for heroin but be negative for opiates

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I took Norco 5mg for my wisdom teeth but failed a drug test for heroin and fentanyl but it was negative for opiates

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Drug Testing
3/12/2018
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 1 month ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

When they test for drugs, they can look for specific medications, based on the breakdown products of each drug.

For example, they can tell the difference between methadone, vs morphine, vs codeine, vs. propoxyphene.

Heroin breaks down into 6-AM, then morphine, which then breaks down into hydromorphone.

Hydrocodone breaks down into dihydrocodeine and hydromorphone.

So if you took a hydrocodone, then it should have been positive for opiates, as that breaks down into hydromorphone.

If you tested positive for heroin, then they morphine (or 6-AM) in your sample (which you are not taking).

So based on the metabolites seen on the test -- they know what type of drugs were taken that break down into the metabolites.

There are false positives to some degree, and confirmation testing can be done to confirm the presence of illicit drugs or not, and can be tested on the urine sample.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lets say i was 100% positive there was no way i could have tested positive for either what could caise s false positive
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon